It’s time to start thinking about Fall Family Sessions!!!
One of the most asked questions I get is “What Do We Wear?”. Well, I’m definitely no fashion expert myself. My favorite outfit is a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops:) But I can give you ideas on what looks best for family portraits…hey, it’s what I do!
Here are a few tips to think about when planning your outfits:
- Wear colors that compliment the season. Browns, blues, grays, yellows, and oranges are good colors to think about. You can always add a pop of color as an accessory (a scarf, chunky necklace, etc.).
- Coordinate everyone’s outfit. This doesn’t mean that everyone has to be in the exact same color. Just make sure your colors all look great together.
- Think about where you want to display your family images. So you want a nice size canvas on your mantle or wall showcasing what’s most precious to you – YOUR FAMILY. Make sure your clothes you’ve picked out for your family session compliment the colors in the area of your home where you’ll display your family pictures. Again, doesn’t have to match exactly – just be sure that your family photos don’t clash with the rest of your décor.
- Stick with solid colors. Solid colors look the best in photographs. Distracting prints on clothing will take away from the real subject. If you must have prints in clothing, think about this…kids can get away with wearing prints more than adults. Kids wearing prints is also a good way to break up solid colors worn by the adults and add a pop of color to the image.
- Textures are good! Sweaters, jackets, scarves, and even belts are a great way to add texture to an image.
- Accessories are good! Don’t forget this step when planning for you fall family photos. It’s the little things that make the photo.
- Don’t advertise for a clothing company. Well, unless you’re a Gap model – then it’s okay if you wear a shirt displaying their logo. But for everyone else…clothes with logos and text are very distracting and take away from the subject of the photo.
- Add layers. Layers can accessorize your outfit and add texture. It’s also a great way to mix and match between neutrals and colors that can make a photo pop. Layers also allow for quick outfit changes without actually changing clothes completely.
- Don’t forget your shoes! Yes, it’s happened more than once. A family shows up with the cutest outfits, but dad has left his shoes picked out for the session at home (shame on him lol)!!! The tennis shoes or flip flops he’s wearing just don’t do the outfits justice. Or someone spends so much time coordinating the clothes that they completely forget about the shoes or boots or whatever footwear looks best and they just grab tennis shoes for little Johnny right before they leave the house (grungy tennis shoes…no no no). So when planning you’re outfits, don’t forget to plan what your going to put on your feet. Not all of your family images may show your shoes, but some do and there’s nothing worse than when the shoes ruin the perfect family photo.
- Have fun & don’t stress!!! This is probably the most important one of all. Even if you clothes aren’t perfect or dad left his shoes at home…just shake it off and go with the flow. My job as a photographer is to make you look your best. If everyone’s scared of you (lol – mommys gonna snap) and you’re completely stressed out…IT WILL SHOW! Take it easy and trust your photographer.
Well, I hope that helps a little when you start planning your fall family session outfits. You can also check out my pinterest board for a few visual ideas
Follow Sheila’s board 2015 – What to Wear for Families on Pinterest.
Also, my favorite place to shop!!! Fall clothes are out and great sales going on at Target! Click here to go shopping at Target!
The links in this post contain affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my link.